Orbit Baby G2 Stroller

Leave reviews, or to rate items in terms of ease of use, practicality and value. We want your honest opinions: the good, the bad and the ugly (but keep it clean, gentlemen).

Orbit Baby G2 Stroller

Postby virtualsid » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Three weeks in now, since we have had our little BT, so I thought it probably enough time for a reasonable review for the parts we have on this buggy/stroller/pram thing.

Some simple pros and cons:

Pros:

Pretty good design, easy enough to take the pram/seat on and off, and to fold the base.
Multifunctional. We have the pram/cot/bassinet to cover upto 6 months - depending on length of baby, a stroller seat to cover from 6 months - toddlerhood (18kg), a car seat attachment (for Maxi Cosi seats, which includes BeSafe).
Supposedly environmentally friendly, including the rain cover - non PVC.
Rain cover (weather pack) also comes with an anti-insect net.
Nice weighting - attaching a reasonably loaded bag to the handles shouldn't cause the pram/pushchair to tip over, even when there's no baby in there.
Drives REALLY well, even with a bag on the handles.
Colour packs allow you to change the colour of the pushchair part (at a cost of a new colour pack).
Cot comes with a rocker, so you can use it in the home as a cradle.
Interesting nappy bag design built into the pram - includes spaces for bottles, and has a shoulder strap that can be taken out. But, see cons for this too.
Has a drinks holder for the driver.
Has a snack holder for the toddler seat.
You can buy an airport bag (which we did) to fit in one set of the stroller - either the pram part, or the pushchair part. Supposedly this is is approved for airline use, and you can take it through security, and when you get to the gate, you put the stroller in to the bag and hand it to the stewards.
Most of the stroller that needs building up is really really easy - the wheels are so easy to take on and off.
One handed folding down, and two handed unfolding.
Handle heights are very easy to adjust.

Cons:
Rather expensive in the end I think. We bought all the gear for £885 (base, pram/bassinet, rocker, stroller seat, (besafe) baby car seat, car seat attachment, colour pack, 2 weather packs - one for pram, one for seat), and an airport bag.
We lost the cargo pod/nappy bag on our first trip out - it didn't fit very securely into the holder. An expensive mistake. We probably won't replace it. I am not sure if it's worth complaining about at this stage.
The cover on the bassinet isn't the easiest to wash - we've had one incident of sick on it, and as there's no spare, we've had to come up with a make shift cover.
The hood on the pram doesn't stay up all the way, unless the 'paparrazi shield' is also deployed. I should probably complain about this.
The colour pack can be a bit of a faff to install. And they changed the design on the seat -> cover attachment method!
The base doesn't fold down as small as others - but this is not a big con, it's kind of expected.
Takes up a lot of boot space. :)

Overall:
I'd recommend this pram/pushchair set, if it was a bit cheaper. The loss of the cargo pod on the first outing was frustrating - and confusing, considering there were three adults out on that first trip!
The design is rather awesome in general, even though they did change the colour pack attachment design half way through - bit of a retarded thing considering the price of this thing and the supposed amazing engineering.
It does drive and turn really well. I tried a friend's Maclaren buggy, and it was nowhere near as smooth, nor would it turn on the spot. I have tried a Quinny pushchair before, and thought that was great - but we hadn't received the Orbit Baby G2 stroller by then, so not compared side by side.
My sister, who has the Quinny, has a bit of envy for this stroller. :)

Anyway, I hope that helps someone who might be looking at the same unit - though there is a 'G3' unit that's just recently come out, slightly miffed, as that has a better/bigger bag!
virtualsid

Re: Orbit Baby G2 Stroller

Postby CommandoDad » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:48 pm

What a fantastic review of this product Virtualsid.

I think I should sign you for Commando Dad's Recce Troop!

I'm sure there are loads ads on C.D.s' and C.D. Raw Recruits out there who will find this post really helpful.

Cheers chap.

Kind regards,

Neil.
CommandoDad

Postby virtualsid » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks! :)

I just wanted to add a little something extra:

I forgot to mention that it can be a bit of a hassle getting it up and down stairs, with the baby in the bassinet in one hand, and the stroller part in the other hand. It's doable, but makes my arms ache due to the awkwardness. I could just do it in two trips, but, where's the fun in that? :) Doesn't help that we have quite a few stairs in this flat to go up and down!

I also haven't yet seen a single other person with one of these Orbit Baby strollers. Makes me wonder if there's something I've missed about it that makes it unappealing - simply the price?
virtualsid

Postby manoman48 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:39 pm

virtualsid wrote:I could just do it in two trips, but, where's the fun in that? :)

And if the adverts are right you get a chocolate bar for doing it all in one trip :)
manoman48

Postby adamjohnson » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:17 am

I have been looking for a good review of a pushchair to buy for my kid. I was also looking for the one with baby parasols that can be fitted to the pushchair.
adamjohnson

Postby vanillabaileys » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:11 am

Hi, I am here from Australia and I am also looking for a stroller. I have just read the reviews about Babyzen yoyo. Anyone tried it? If not could I have this discussed brand stroller in Australia?
Buy Babyzen YOYO Online Australia at best prices!
vanillabaileys

Postby babystrollerr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:27 pm

I had a Doona baby stroller with my first kid and I really missed having the portability. With #2 and #3 kid, I used a Graco Snugride 5pt. With #4, I bought the Graco Safe baby stroller (higher weight and height limits). I recommend the Graco Baby stroller. He is now in a Britax Marathon RF but he can still fit in the stroller and he will turn two in July.
babystrollerr

Postby babystrollerr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:31 pm

I and my DH are looking for Good baby stroller for our coming baby.Convertible baby Stroller sound like a good idea, but some of my friends told me it is not safe enough for Newborn baby.Anyone has suggestions?
And what brand of baby strollers is the best?
babystrollerr

Return to Reviews